Home/Support/Support Forum/How do you get the XBEE to work with small-scale Arduinos (Trinket / Pro Mini), with no shield?
Welcome to Digi Forum, where you can ask questions and receive answers from other members of the community.

How do you get the XBEE to work with small-scale Arduinos (Trinket / Pro Mini), with no shield?

0 votes
I was trying to get an XBEE S1 pair to work together with an Arduino Pro Mini (5V), or an Arduino Trinket (3.3V). It was working with an Uno, and a SparkFun XBEE shield, but I was unable to find a shield to go with the smaller-size Arduinos.

I never did get the XBEE communicating in transparent mode with the small Arduinos, and I was wondering if it had to do with the shield doing some mojo for the 5V Uno with data pin voltage conversion, since the XBEE wants 3V, not 5V. Since I didn't have a shield for the smaller Pro Min 5V, that may have been a problem. No idea why I could never get it working with the 3V Trinket.

I have just joined the forum, and wanted to search around for info on using XBEEs with tiny Arduino packages. If anyone has been through this, please share any tips you have.

Thanks,
Dare
asked Dec 8, 2015 in Satellite Modules by darematheson New to the Community (0 points)

Please log in or register to answer this question.

1 Answer

0 votes
Yes, you must use a level shifter in order to connect the 3V XBee to a 5V device. This includes the data lines which is what your Adapter board was doing.
answered Dec 9, 2015 by mvut Veteran of the Digi Community (11,302 points)