Certification Failure Analysis and Mitigation
“My device didn’t pass, now what?”
Digi Wireless Design Services can perform a comprehensive design analysis and lab testing to mitigate RF and EMI/EMC issues. We focus on both regulatory and performance issues, such as:
- The device is failing cellular PTCRB certification or certification by the network operator (AT&T, Verizon, Sprint).
- The device fails FCC Part 15 certifications, rules, and regulations regarding unlicensed transmissions.
- The device’s wireless range is less than expected.
- Radio performance suffers when used in the presence of another radio, such as when ZigBee communication drops during Wi-Fi file downloads.
- Cellular total isotropic sensitivity (TIS) degrades when a touchscreen display is enabled.
- A product with GPS fails to consistently get a lock/fix.
- The device fails radiated spurious emissions (RSE) for FCC, CISPR, ETSI, or PTCRB due to clock harmonics or power supply noise.
To address these issues, Digi WDS offers a range of services:
- Issue Reproduction: RF performance measurements in an anechoic chamber.
- Schematic and Layout Review: RF best practices focused on noise filtering, processor configuration, clocks, bus connections, power supply, PCB construction, and routing.
- Antenna Review: type, tuning, and integration into mechanical assembly.
- Receiver Sensitivity Optimization: Optimization of total isotropic sensitivity (TIS) through proper antenna implementation and reduction of EMI from device electronics.
- Transmit Power Optimization: Measurement and improvement of total radiated power (TRP) related to RF PCB design and antenna implementation
- Noise Analysis: In-situ spectral analysis to identify EMI/EMC sources.
- Recommended Design Changes: Implementation and testing of design changes to correct observed problems.